Local First Arizona’s very own Gabe Gardner has a delicious recipe you’ve got to try. The Simple Cranberry Orange Scone recipe below gives step by step instructions so you can easily make these yummy treats at home. Participants at this week’s Fuerza Community Kitchen cooking class made a batch earlier this week to show you how it’s done!
We’ve listed some of our favorite local sources for ingredients, you can also find local options at your nearest farmers market, Sprouts, and Bashas locations.
2 cups all-purpose flour (Hayden Flour Mills)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup dried cranberries
zest from one large orange (The Farm at Agritopia)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg (Hickman’s Eggs)
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir in cranberries and zest.
3. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until smooth.
4. Using a fork, stir sour cream mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form.
5. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
6. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick.
7. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. of sugar. Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut into 8 pieces; Place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart.
8. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.